Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, will give this FOI Day program's luncheon keynote address.
Panels will address:
· Overclassification, Declassification, and Executive Order Change – an analysis of national security classification under existing Executive Order 12,958, as well as the prospects for its revision.
· “Bailing Out on Transparency” – a critical consideration of the openness limitations of the government’s recent “TARP,” financial industry bailout, and economic stimulus-related activities.
· “Born Digital But Preserved in Hard Copy?” – discussions of E-Gov and records-management practices as vital foundations of all disclosure regimes, with emphasis on much-needed reforms.
· “CUI or See You Later” – an up-to-date look at the continuing murky world of “pseudosecrecy.”
· An Early Assessment of the Obama Administration – in the two months since President Obama stunned the openness-in-government community and federal workforce alike with his strong pro-disclosure words and “Day One” transparency and FOIA memoranda, has that momentum carried forward or has it lagged, including as to implementation of the 2007 FOIA Amendments?